Just because a meal is healthy, it doesn’t mean it has to be bland, unsatisfying or a salad. If you like sandwiches and burgers with fries, here’s a tasty, super healthy alternative to try!
A good start is to substitute burger buns or other white breads with something that is lower in carbs and higher in fiber. I recommend Multi-grain sandwich rounds. They are thin, so they have less carbs, and since they are multi grain, they pack a good amount of fiber.
Another great substitution is sweet potato instead of regular old russet potatoes. There’s nothing wrong with Russet, Sweet potato simply has more nutrients, like beta carotene and fiber. If you also bake your fries instead of frying them, then you have a super healthy side for your sandwich. Check out the recipe and video and give it a go!
– 2 4oz salmon fillets
– 1/2 zucchini – 2 multi grain sandwich rounds
– 1/2 yellow squash – sea salt
– 1 avocado – pepper
– 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced – 1 1/2 tbsp oil (olive, safflower)
– 1/8 onion, sliced – dash of chick bouillon
Sweet potato fries:
– 1 large sweet potato – 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
– 2 tbsp oil – salt & pepper
– cayenne pepper
Makes 2 sandwiches with fries.
Prep time 5 mins. Cook time: 20 mins.
Sandwich: 492 calls
Fries: 201 cals/ serving
Meal: 693 calls.
Compare to original six dollar burger & medium fries: 1340 calories! Not to mention way less fat and more nutrients.
– 2 cups whole grain flour – 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1 egg – 1/2 tbsp salt
– 2 tbsp oil – 1 tbsp yeast
– 3/4 cup warm water – herbs / spices to taste
– 2 8oz. cans tomato sauce – 2 tbsp oil
– 1 tbsp flour – 1 tbsp oregano
– salt & pepper to taste
– 3 oz cheese
– Any veggies and/or lean meats you want
Prep time: 30 mins. Bake time 20 mins.
Makes 2 medium thin crust pizzas / 1 extra large one.
Crust + sauce = 96 cals/ serving
Crust +sauce+cheese= 117 cals/serving
This exact recipe:
veggie slice: 126 cals/serving
tuna slice: 148 cals/serving
Just in time for Cinco de Mayo!
– 1.5 lbs tomatillos (green tomatoes)
– 1/2 onion
– 2 jalapeños
– 4 garlic cloves
– cilantro (to taste)
– salt and pepper (to taste)
– Cast iron skillet or large pan
Makes 4.5 cups of salsa.
Prep time: 20-30 mins.
CALORIES: 176 total
A sweet, non-fat recipe for a delicious dessert.
– 2 cups strawberries
– 1 cup raspberries
– 4 egg whites
– 1 can fat free condensed milk
– whisk or hand mixer
Serves: 6 – 8
Prep time: apron. 10 mins
Keep in freezer for:
As cream dessert: 30 mins
Ice cream: at least 1 hour (2hrs if one large container)
CALORIES: 126 cals/serving
VEGGIE SUBSTITUTES: If you wan to make this vegan, just substitute the condensed milk for coconut cream and skip the eggwhites. It’ll be more of a sorbet, but still vey yummy! The substitute for egg whites is full of starches and baking soda and other things that have no place in a healthy dessert. If you do substitute for coconut cream, it won’t be fat free anymore. It comes up to about 2.6 grs of fat/ serving -not too much at all- but it is the most saturated kind of fat, so don’t have it too often!